- lack of confidentiality in services eg. on mental health helplines
- more information needed for patients eg. about psychiatric treatment
- differences between psychiatry and the rest of medicine should not be minimised
- patients' mental capacity, their will and preferences need to be taken more into account
- the dangerousness of people with mental health problems is exaggerated
Psychiatric practice should no longer be based on the notion that primary mental illness will be found to have a physical cause, but move on to a more personal, relational practice.